My Avocado Tree (Sierra Vista, AZ (USA))

Show your avocado trees!
Luposian

My Avocado Tree (Sierra Vista, AZ (USA))

Postby Luposian » Mon May 22, 2017 11:46 pm

I started this tree from a store-bought Hass pit sometime last year, IIRC. It grew to about 17" and self-terminated (top died for some unknown reason). It then branched out at a height of 15.5" and has now grown to 50" tall . It only has a few large leaves, several are damaged. I moved it indoors during the winter and put it in the window where it got a nice amount of morning/afternoon sun. As for the leaf damage, was it getting too much sun? Too much warm air from the heater vents? Didn't like being indoors?

I have it moved outside again and gave it a little organic fertilizer and repotted it into a larger container. The roots hadn't grown much (not even close to outgrowing it's first pot). But maybe that's because I didn't prune it properly? I'd like some solid advice on what to do with it now. Will nipping off the new growth at the top (to try and encourage new branches) hinder it's further health, because the remaining leaves are so few or does it need those leaves much, since it has some nutrients (fertilizer) in the soil now ?

Luposian

Avocado1b.jpg
Avocado1b.jpg (248.78 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

Avocado2b.jpg
Avocado2b.jpg (209.67 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

Lebrun

Re: My Avocado Tree (Sierra Vista, AZ (USA))

Postby Lebrun » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 am

Your avocado tree looks like it's doing fine, Luposian. I'd keep doing what you're doing. How old is it?

Luposian

Re: My Avocado Tree (Sierra Vista, AZ (USA))

Postby Luposian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 am

Trying to upload a new picture from my iPhone and it won't let me (says too big), but my avocado tree has now grown to just over 6 ft. (in pot) and has a lot more leaves and small branches since my original post. And is sprouting another two branches where I nipped the ends off. It keeps wanting to grow UP, but I want it to grow OUT. How do I encourage fuller growth, not just taller growth?

It's 3 yrs. old now, I believe. This is its 3rd Winter and thriving well in the house, since bringing it inside for a couple cold months.

Return to “Avocado Pictures”