different kinds of avocados

Post all your avocado related questions here
reid

different kinds of avocados

Postby reid » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Hello! I am just curious and I really want to know how many different kinds of avocados in the world?
- Reid

sabrina

Re: different kinds of avocados

Postby sabrina » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Hello Reid! Keep in mind that each seed planted results in an avocado tree very different from the parent tree. For example, you plant a seed from a Hass avocado... the seed is the result of cross-pollination and the resulting tree and fruit will be very different from its parents. Since this is the process by which new varieties are discovered, there are literally thousands of named varieties of avocados (and untold unnamed ones in the wild). In fact, there is a lady who has volunteered to go back through the literature and compile a list of named varieties for us, so far she has over 1000 varieties in her database! However, there are really only a small number of commercial varieties being grown for sale today, the main one being Hass. :D

Chilecook

Postby Chilecook » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:05 am

Thanks for sharing.

thatcrazytoaster

Postby thatcrazytoaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 pm

what is the best seed to be using? any suggestions? thanks. I've had my seed soaking for many months now and nothing.

Luposian

Postby Luposian » Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 am

How long did you have the pit sitting out before using the AvoSeedo to sprout it? I had a few pits I left out awhile (a week or two maybe), and they never sprouted, after planting them. They were kinda tiny, so maybe that had something to do with it. If you're trying to sprout during winter, maybe they "know" what season it is and won't sprout til Spring? Dunno.

Daniel
Site Admin

Postby Daniel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:41 pm

You should put them into the AvoSeedo not later than 1 or 2 days after you get them out of the avocado.
We made some experiments with different old pits and after around 7-10 days the germination rate gets down to almost 0.
You can germinate them throughout the whole year.

Senwan

Postby Senwan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:42 pm

the thing about avocado seeds is that finding two seeds that are the same is hard. Avocado comes in different varieties and can be easily cross-pollinated by the different varieties. Thus, for example, if we have a tree of a seed type A, after pollination (mostly cross-pollination) the seed will be of the type B. Thus its hard to say the exact number of varieties of avocado available.

--
Analysis of how Phallosan Forte works. Find more info here.
Last edited by Senwan on Tue May 07, 2019 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basoco1

Postby Basoco1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi I live in kansas and I've been trying to grow my seeds I've got 3 seeds to grow and are 3 mo. Old one I planted in opting soil to soon but is regrow ing roots the second seed is small with big floppy leaves the 3rd seed growing tall with small leaves so I don't really know what I'm doing yet will post pictures.
Attachments
1546120217784-239495274.jpg
1546120217784-239495274.jpg (565.42 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

Return to “Avocado Gardening”